Sigma Kappa Delta is the English Honor Society for Two-Year Colleges. It was founded in 1996 at Cottey College. Sigma Kappa Delta headquarters is currently located at Calhoun Community College. The society strives to:
- Confer distinction for high achievement in English language and literature in undergraduate studies;
- Provide, through its local chapters, cultural stimulation on college campuses and promote interest in literature and the English language in surrounding communities;
- Foster all aspects of the discipline of English, including literature, language, and writing;
- Promote exemplary character and good fellowship among its members;
- Exhibit high standards of academic excellence; and Serve society by fostering literacy.
A Sigma Kappa Delta chapter is more than just another college club. It is a unique entity that opens the doors of opportunity for its members and facilitates academic, professional, and personal growth. There are more than 100 active chapters across the country, each defined by its location and membership, yet bound to the rest by the common goal of promoting excellence in the disciplines of the English language.
With over 100 active chapters located in the United States, approximately 2500 members are inducted annually. Sigma Kappa Delta's central purpose is to confer distinction upon students of the English language and literature in undergraduate studies.
Members of every chapter have the opportunity to share their love of literature and linguistics with like-minded peers, participate in rewarding activities, and be recognized for their accomplishments. They may also apply, or in some cases instantly qualify, f